Thursday, June 24, 2010

Awakenings

Sometimes babies move and do things in their sleep. More than just roll over or sigh. When some babies learn to crawl, they actually crawl in their sleep. When some babies learn to pull up, they pull up in their crib. For most parents, this means a few nights of laying the baby back down and soothing him or her back to sleep. Baby brains have to practice their new skills all night to help build the neural connections that are the physical basis of learning. This sometimes results in less sleep.

Adelaide, you take this concept to the extreme. Last night you would relax, and relax, and get calm and sleepy, then you would wave and wave and wave yourself awake. Then as you calmed down again, you'd clap yourself awake. You were so tired, and so sad, and truly wanted to be sleeping, but your little body and brain just wouldn't let you do it.

I wonder if this is a precursor to a whole lot of sleepwalking. Maybe, when you get older you will sleepwalk all night long. My sweet baby, if that's true, then I'll make sure your mattress is on the floor so you can't get hurt falling out of bed. I'll put a baby gate on your bedroom door so you don't wind up down the stairs, and I'll make sure your pajamas are warm enough in case you kick your blankets off.

Last night, Daddy and I took turns helping you and staying up with you until you finally went to sleep. I'm not sure why these actions were keeping you up, because you've known how to wave and how to clap for a long time. I thought only new skills were supposed to cause this. But today, I'm very glad for a slow, relaxing day to help us recuperate.

And you are the sweetest sleeping baby.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background image by Jen Furlotte